7 Common B2B Social Media Marketing Mistakes
Social Media has become a hot topic for marketers and currently much of the success is being seen in the B2C space. To help out my fellow B2B marketers, here is a list of 7 common mistakes that B2B marketers make when jumping feet first into social media marketing.
- Using social media as a direct response vehicle – The reason for much of the success from B2C marketers is that the majority of their products are impulse purchases (i.e. Rita’s Water Ice tweeting about their flavor of the month on a hot summer day). For B2B companies, social media is more about interaction and knowledge sharing (think whitepapers, videos, thought leadership blogs, etc.).
- Expecting instant results – Social Media is not a one-way street and requires time to build trust and relationships within a community.
- Failing to invest sufficient time and effort – In order to build relationships it takes a considerable amount of time and energy to maintain your Social Media presence. B2B companies that succeed are those that have a clear objective and implement a strategy based on market research and a commitment to seeing their efforts through to completion.
- Focusing internally – As mentioned earlier, Social Media is not a one-way street and it requires you to listen and interact. Focusing solely on your own agenda will not help you grow your audience – you MUST provide value to the community.
- Not building networks or using syndication – This is not the “Field of Dreams” (if you build it, they will come). While great content is extremely important, it is essential to use your blog, Twitter/LinkedIn accounts, and other social media tools (RSS syndication) to build a group of influencers that will amplify your content.
- Not monitoring – While you cannot control the conversations out in the socialsphere, you can monitor and respond when appropriate.
- Ignoring synergy between different media – It is important that you do not silo your social media activities from your corporate website, public relations activities or your online marketing campaigns. Each of these is an opportunity to grow your presence and cross-linking is highly recommended.
Be sure to check out these tips for creating a successful Social Media marketing campaign.
Author: Brian Rice