The Marketing Forum: Integrating Social Media
As the questions around Social Media ROI are all-too-slowly beginning to disipate and most of us have added social sharing to our website and emails, the real question arises: how do we truly integrate social media?
And this is not just a question for our marketing mix. It also applies to our business at large. As the world becomes more and more connected through social media, mobile technologies and content storage in the clould, we need to take a setep back and ask if our businesses and our leaders need to become, well, more social?
Today at the Marketing Forum, I presented the following presentation titled Integrating Social Media Into Your Marketing Mix. In it, I discuss:
- How business is personal and people want to do business with other people, not companies.
- The role of marketing: to advocate for customers and bring our customers and companies together.
- We need to tell our customers’ stories about what we can do for them.
- The power of social media and the facts showing the world has forever changed are undeniable.
- Our job is to translate content into something meaningful (emotional?), and to create conversations that connect with people.
- The goal of a social business is still to support our business by getting and keeping customers.
- Social media is a platform for change. Change in the approach of our leaders, our marketing and across the entire business.
- I cite examples of the damage to companies that have ignored the calls for change.
- I list common steps to social policy, governance and market approaches.