The Objectives for the B2B Marketing Insider blog
Since I think it is important to set objectives, I am going to lay them out here. I realize my first blog posts are a bit self-indulgent but since I am only talking to myself and a few friends, I hope you will allow me these few introspections until I grow my followers and hopefully start to dispense pearls of wisdom that become widely shared across the web.
I also hope to lay these down publicly and will re-visit these objectives and report out to you how well I am doing.
Okay, so my objectives for B2B Marketing Insider are:
- Have a stake in my personal brand’s online presence. We all have a brand and need to channel our inner Brian Solis. The question is whether we are actively participating in it online. Over the years, I’ve used LinkedIn mainly and Twitter and Facebook recently to microblog and “status update” my way to an online brand presence. This website is my attempt to extend those efforts. Plus, unfortunately, there are a few more well published and highly controversial “Michael Brenners” out there to occupy the top spot in searches. I am in Marketing so, yes, this is my ego objective.
- Generate a steady increase of small but loyal followers. I mean, I am not here to speak about myself, to myself. Who cares? I am hoping to contribute to someone, somewhere. If I am not, I will stop. I read a great interview with Seth Godin where he says that he is able to write in his blog by thinking that there is at least one person who wants to hear what he has to say and so he spends a considerable amount of time thinking about what to say to them.
- To share the love. I am frustrated every day. I am a perfectionist. When I see B2B Marketers who have forgotten that we serve customers and create marketing campaigns with little research into customer needs or pains or the words they use to express their pains, it makes me crazy. I am hoping to share “Why” that is crazy and “What” we should be doing instead. In essence, this is therapy for me but hopefully creates some value for you.
- Finally, this is a journey. I need to practice what I preach. I am an online and social media marketing strategist for a large B2B company in a highly competitive industry. I like to write, I like to share. I have never blogged but I know how to build a website. I know how to do SEO and paid search and analyze top keywords. I know how to create content that people respond to. I know how to generate a lead. And so here I am hoping to take a journey to the place known as “I know how to build an online brand through blogging”. I hope you’ll join me along the way.
So there you have it. Those are my objectives for this blog. And while we’re on this topic, here are 3 B2B Marketing Insider tips for this post:
- Set clear and concise objectives for your initiatives. Follow the SMART acronym (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time Bound)
- Communicate them to your boss, your peers and your staff so you are accountable
- Report back on a regular basis on your progress
This is such a simple tip but I am amazed at how few marketers follow this principle.
Thanks for reading and please share your comments with me. I am brimming with ideas on what to write in future posts and would welcome any comments on the things you want to hear about.