It's Time To Act Like A Publisher [Slides]
I’m mad. I’m really mad and I;m not gonna take it anymore.
OK, maybe I’m being dramatic. But seriously, when are we gonna atop creating so much crappy content? When are we gonna realize that the world has changed. When are we gonna start creating content our audiences actually want?
I realize that some marketing leaders are claiming to consider content marketing over advertising. but we have a long way to go before we start seeing more branded content that is actually helpful to our target audience.
I keep asking “why do we create so much self-serving and ineffective content?”
I think it’s easy to blame it on our bosses or the non-marketers who “don’t get it.” But it’s up to us to stand up to our sales and executive colleagues. We need to challenge the status quo. We need to use data-driven insights and business results to show that acting like a publisher will bring more prospects to know, like and trust us enough to buy from us.
So today, I am presenting to a couple hundred of our B2B Marketing colleagues at FWD:B2B.
My message: It’s time to start acting like a publisher.
- Create great content AND delivering business results in the form of more customers, revenue and marketing efficiency.
- Treat content like an asset that needs to be managed and produce a return on investment
- Create a brand newsroom, content team, publishing group. Whatever you call it, these need to be people with the skills to create great content that moves through the social web and is free of brand promotion.
- Measure results in the form of business metrics, not marketing speak
- Work with publishers resources to create great content
- Consider news, entertainment, and emotional storytelling
For more details on how to do it, check out 8 Steps To Become A Brand Publisher.
Check out my slides below and let me know what you think in the comments below.