7 Signs You're A Social Media Diva
You know you’ve seen it. Like rock stars, actors, or sports stars, chillin’ in the VIP section of that exclusive club, getting comp’d bottles of the priciest vodka and champagne. They are roped off from us mere mortals and surrounded by an entourage of beautiful people. You know they exist. And you struggle with whether you want what they have.
In this case, I’m talking about social media divas! And the term applies to males and females alike…
First, A Caveat
I have toyed with writing this article a number of times. And although I do sometimes like to stir the pot a little, the thing that stopped me was always the fear that I may have made some of these mistakes myself.
Even when you strive to have the best manners, you are bound to offend someone at some point. So if you are someone who I have social-media-slighted in the past, please know it was in no way intentional. And with that blanket caveat, let’s proceed with a heavy dose of sarcasm and hopefully a sense of humor.
Social Media Equity
I am really so very grateful for every tweet, like, comment, digg, stumble and visit. In 10 Tips For Twitter Success I talk about thanking everyone for their re-tweets or comments in multiple ways although not everyone agrees on how. For me it just feels like the right thing to do but is also an opportunity to create some social media equity. I scratch your back and you scratch mine. Isn’t that what community is all about?
The Emergence of the Social Media Diva
But since I joined twitter I can’t help but notice that there are some folks out there who demonstrate some very social media diva-like behavior.
Social media is about authenticity and trust, the equity and maybe even the love we engender in the connections we have with others. Now I realize that manners are not as clear in the new social world order. And let’s face it: there are some real superstars out there who do not have the time to thank everyone or re-tweet and respond to every comment.
But for everyone else, here is a fun list of the warning signs that you may be sliding down the slippery slope to social media diva-hood. Read and enjoy –
7 Signs You’re a Social Media Diva:
- You don’t respond to @mentions or you complain in your tweets that too many people are fishing for your attention….oh to be so popular.
- You don’t respond to comments on your blog because you are “too busy”. Come on- it takes a lot of effort to write a comment – a simple thank you would suffice.
- You don’t thank blog writers for mentioning you, highlighting your work and linking to you in their posts. If someone calls you out specifically in their post they must think quite highly of you – retweeting the post with a thank you is easy enough.
- You don’t comment on anyone else’s blog. Come on – it’s not all about you. Return the favor.
- You think you’re really awesome and all your tweets promote you, your blog, or even worse your Klout score. It’s like bragging about having a high IQ. This one is a no-brainer.
- Your twitter conversations are only among your social a-list friends. The virtual version of the VIP purple rope.
- You’re a little bitter that Twitter has become “mainstream”.
Now let’s have a little fun: tell me what you think? Share a story in the comments section of a time when you’ve been brushed off or slighted. Add additional warning signs I may have missed. If you add your Twitter handle, I promise to reply to every comment as soon as I possibly can and to thank every one of you in a Tweet.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Get the latest updates from the Marketing Insiders and receive 10 Content Marketing ROI Formulas and Calculations from my book The Content Formula.